Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Miles and miles of miles...

So I ran across a blog maintained on one of my favorite magazine's website. It talks about Mileage Running, a concept I had never heard of before. They claim that:

"Mileage runners are the high-tech nomadic wanderers of the air. Predominantly male, generally obsessed with flying and miles, and typically employed in white-collar careers that involve significant business travel, they scour the web for cheap flights, phoning in sick or using vacation days to fly the longest itineraries they can string together."

This concept is very intriguing especially given the fact I used to be one of those travelers. My biggest problem is that the company I worked for at the time didn't allow me to stick with one carrier. I think if I were single and I was in an industry that flew me everywhere, I would be doing the same thing. Why not? Especially if it was on the companies dime. I knew someone at my work right now who still had 200,000 miles banked with Northwest Airlines and he hadn't traveled in two years. Whenever he and his wife wanted to go somewhere for a weekend or a trip, they didn't have to worry about the pricing scheme that was out there at the time.

Although, it does bring up an interesting question. How does all this flying affect our planet?

No comments: